In Ayurveda, liver cirrhosis is also known as yakrit vriddhi. It is mainly caused due to alcoholism, fatty liver diseases and hepatitis. Cirrhosis limits the important functions of liver that includes regulation of protein, production of bile to absorb vitamins and fats and elimination of toxins and pathogens.
Main causes for cirrhosis are:
- Alcoholic liver disease
- Nonalcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH)
- Chronic hepatitis
- Autoimmune hepatitis
- Inherited disease
- Blocked bile duct
- Chronic hepatitis B and D
The most common symptoms of Cirrhosis of the liver are the frequent attacks of indigestion, occasional nausea and vomiting. Other symptoms include abdominal pain, low grade fever and foul breath. Liver cirrhosis may be caused due to excessive use of alcohol, highly toxic condition of the system and poor nutrition.
Ayurvedic treatment procedures:
- Take 1 teaspoon of Bhringaraja plant juice thrice a day in case of liver cirrhosis in infants. You can also mix this juice with honey if you find the taste astringent or bitter.
- In case of adults, Katuki should be the choice of drug. Mix a teaspoon of powder with equal amount of honey and take it thrice a day.
- 2-4 tablets of Arogyavardhini medicine mixed in a cup of warm water can be given thrice a day.
- Take Trivari to reduce the symptoms of jaundice. Other drugs that are useful in this treatment are Triphala, Kakamachi and Vasaka.
Treatment should be undertaken only by expert Ayurvedic practitioners. The treatment differs for each person according to the disease and the physical conditions of the body.