Arthritis is a disease affecting joints of our body. As there are many associate branches, joints get damaged, resulting in pain, swelling and stiffness in the joints. Joints are point of motion between two or more bones. This point of articulation is usually well lubricated with the aid of cartilages .Arthritis is a condition were this joint areas get either inflamed or swollen or a lot of friction being generated creating pain over the joint with cracking pain, or stiffness.
Types of arthritis according to Ayurveda:
Arthritis Treatment in Ayurveda
Depending on the person’s lifestyle, diet and emotional pattern, the treatment procedure is scheduled for the patients. In Ayurveda, the treatment of arthritis focuses on the digestion of ama and reduction of vata, simultaneously. At the same time, methods are used to reduce the pain as well as the inflammation of joints. The major steps, suggested under Ayurvedic treatment for arthritis are:
- Firstly, treatment recommends fasting. It helps to digest -ama.
- A special beverage is made of 2 tsp lemon juice, 1 tsp honey and 250 ml warm water, prescribed twice a day – early morning and evening.
- Your body is massaged with mustard oil; this helps in the reduction of vata and eases pain.
- Do light exercise, but please don’t strain your body.
- It is recommended to intake orange juice or sweet limejuice. It will boost the effect of any arthritis drug.
Major signs and symptoms of this disease:
- Swelling all over the joint may be one or may be shifting swelling over all joints of the body
- Pain in the joint area
- Stiffness more normally in the morning time
- Cracking of the joint creating pain.
Diet for the patients:-
Foods which are easily digestible and do not make wind or gas are good. Intakes of Vegetables- either eat it raw or in the form of juices and soups are good. Green salad with a dressing of lemon juice and a little salt is also good. Fruits like apples, oranges, grapes and papaya can be taken. Cooked vegetables like squash, zucchini and pumpkin are good. Cooking with spices like cumin, coriander, ginger, asafetida, garlic, fennel and turmeric also helps a lot.
Rheumatoid Arthritis in Ayurveda
Rheumatoid Arthritis in Ayurveda is termed as Aamvata. It is a condition caused by the Aam; “improperly digested foods and raw metabolites” is what Ayurveda calls “Aam”. Aam, etymologically means an item which is not ripened, cooked and digested or metabolized properly. In relation to Aamvata, it becomes the food which is not digested properly or the digested food which is not metabolized properly. This Aam, when travels in the body with Vata (which decides all kind of movements of the body). Wherever Vata finds closed channels, this Vata leaves the “Aam” there, which cause different kinds of diseases in that particular organ. This description of Aamvata in a 5000 year old science show, shows how much scientific and enriched science was, right from its beginning.
Rheumatic fever is a general disorder resulting in pain in the joints, feverishness, and copious perspiration. The disease is one to which children and adolescents are more prone.It is generally not noticed among people above thirty years of age. If the disease affects an individual up to the age of eighteen, proper care and medication can control the disease. The disease has a tendency to spread in an erratic manner, and affects the smooth membranes of the body, mainly, the heart.
Rheumatic Fever usually comes along with cold and pain in major joints like back, knee, elbow etc. With the rise in temperature patients gets pain in joints along with muscles. Loss of appetite, laziness and loss of taste are few more symptoms in Rheumatic Fever.
Asparagus Seeds, Black Cumin (Kalaunji), Fenugreek and Ajwain should be taken in equal quantities and grinded into powder. Three mashas of the powder swallowed with water every morning controls the swelling of rheumatism. A useful prescription to help relieve the pain of rheumatic fever is: one ratti of White Arsenic, one dried Grape and six grains of Pepper ground fine and made into 24 pills. One pill should be taken after breakfast.
Polyarthritis is not a type of arthritis but rather a description of some types of arthritis. Polyarthritis means- involving more than one joint. Some types of arthritis such as Rheumatoid arthritis, Psoriatic arthritis, Lupus and Gout almost always include multiple joints. The most obvious symptom of Polyarthritis is pain, inflammation and or swelling in multiple joints. The term Polyarthritis is usually given to auto-immune types of arthritis. An auto-immune disease is where your body’s immune system starts attacking itself.
Some of the main symptoms of Polyarthritis are:
- Morning stiffness
- Pain on motion or tenderness in at least one joint
- Swelling in at least one joint
- Swelling of at least one other joint
- Symmetric joint swelling
- Osteoarthritis is termed as Sandhivata in Ayurveda. Sandhi means the joint and Vata stands for the Vata Dosha. When actions of the Vata increase inside the Sandhis, joints, it is known as the Sandhivata. Vata is dry in nature so it absorbs the fluidity from any part of the body and it is also destructive or catabolic in nature. Due to these two reasons Vata causes destruction of the cartilages and reduction in the Synovial fluid inside the joint capsule.
Osteoarthritis can be easily managed by:
- Eating lot of vegetables, freshly cooked foods, hot soups of lentils, pulse, moderate quantity of ghee and oils to lubircate the dried joints.
- By avoiding oily and deep fried foods.
- Doing a regular mild exercise programme to enable the joint to move and prevent further damages also by not indulging in any hard job which may damage the joints.
- Daily massaging with the mahanaraya oil or specific oils prescribed by an Ayurvedic doctor is used to calm down the vata dosha.