Insomnia is a sleep disorder described by difficulty in initiating or maintaining sleep or both. It affects persons of all ages and the occurrence increases with age. Insomnia may be caused either due to physical conditions or because of psychological problems. Psychological problems include stress, anxiety, depression and the physical causes may be chronic pain, illness, or other health related problems.
- Finds hard to falling asleep at night
- Late night wake ups
- Unusual wake ups
- Day time sleepiness
- Day time restlessness
Stress, anxiety, worry, physical pain, lack of physical or social activity, medications such as blood pressure tablets or asthma medication are some of the main causes of insomnia.
Diet and Regimen:
- Eat your meals at regular times each day
- Reduce the intake of black tea, coffee or caffeine drinks
- Late night dinners and fatty foods should be avoided
- Add hot, sweetened milk to boiled rice and eat whilst hot
- Avoid salty and dried foods
- Eat a good meal before dusk
Ayurvedic treatment for Insomnia are:
Sirodhara is a rejuvenating therapy that is specially designed to eliminate mental exhaustion and toxins. In this, therapy oil is poured on patient’s forehead from specific distance and for specific time frame. Even though, Shirodhara oil is traditionally used for treatment of insomnia, other fluids like milk is also used. It brings relief to most of the associated factors of insomnia such as anxiety, stress and relaxes nervous system.